- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together the cream, 30 ml (2 tbsp) of maple caramel and the vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the cake horizontally into 3 equal slices.
- Spread whipped cream on the first slice and garnish with strawberries. Repeat with the second slice of cake. On the last slice, spread the remaining whipped cream.
- Dress with maple popcorn, maple glazed almonds and maple caramel. Garnish with the remaining strawberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Homemade angel food cake
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 to 45 minutes
80 g or 160 ml (⅔ cup) of pastry flour, sifted
180 ml (¾ cup) of sugar
1 pinch of salt
5 egg whites, tempered
12.5 ml (2½ tsp) of water
2.5 ml (½ tsp) of cream of tartar
2.5 ml (½ tsp) of vanilla extract
- Place the rack at the bottom of the oven. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F).
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, 60 ml (¼ cup) of the sugar and the salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat together the egg whites, water and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, one spoonful at a time, while beating on high speed until firm shiny peaks form. Fold in the vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the meringue and gently fold them in using a spatula.
- Pour into an ungreased 20 cm (8”) angel food cake pan**. Smooth the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Immediately turn cake pan over onto its tube or onto the neck of a bottle and let cool upside down for about 2 ½ hours or until completely cooled. To unmould the cake, run a thin knife on the inner wall of the mould.
**If the mould doesn’t have a removable bottom, line the bottom of the mould with parchment paper.