Maple Salmon Gravlax
- 1 salmon fillet with skin on and pin bones removed
- 250 mL (1 cup) maple sugar
- 125 mL (½ cup) kosher or coarse salt
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) ground white pepper
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) brandy
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- Coarse chop the dill
- Brush the salmon with brandy
- Mix together maple sugar, pepper and kosher salt to create a rub. Rub evenly over the salmon. The layer should be slightly thinner at the tail.
- Cover with chopped dill
- Wrap the salmon in cheesecloth and place it in a perforated pan set in a regular pan. Top with another pan and place 5 lb of weight on top to keep the cure in firm contact with the fillet.
- Cure the salmon for 3 days in the fridge
- Scrape off the cure and slice thinly
Photo by ricnoyle.com